- No products in the cart.
Campo Cultivator in the kitchen (someone had better take a picture!)
the filter ice technique of making hashish: (very much the DIY version)
Now you’ve heard of Delia Smith, well I can proudly present the Campo Cultivator, (not so) expert hash maker extraordinaire. We’ve been writing an article on the various methods of hash making so I thought I’d better put my money where my mouth is and give it a go!
Job on !!!!
Firstly I ransacked the kitchen for the right equipment – no ice! Couln’t possibly wait to freeze some so was forced to make a mad dash to the local bar. Managed to sneak a quick drink or two, purchased the aforementioned ice and rally drove home in a state of excitement (or was that intoxication?).
Second on the list was the transformation of our rustic kitchen into a state of the art laboratory. I banished the missus and kids from the area and bravely trod into the world of the mad scientist. With all the best intentions I cleaned my lab space and laid out all the gear:
As I was putting the popcorn buds in the bowl for the photo, I decided it might be time for a quick doobie of my “nevilles haze” just to help focus and clear the mind after the couple of pints. Now thoroughly in a scientific mind set I started the process:
OK: ice 5 cubes, half a pint of water and bang on that blender until you have a slush puppy like mix
hmmmm 7 grams of trim material? Scientifically, I estimated this was about a handful and chucked it in
I then sat and watched the blender turning my popcorn buds and leaves into a lime green frothy mess. And while I pondered the wisdom of using mainly small buds – god knows how often a box of mixed leaf and bud has saved my sanity whilst I’ve been “between” harvests – the thought occurred to me that it might be wise idea to check the instructions.
“DO NOT OVER BLEND AS THIS WILL LEAVE TOO MUCH PLANT MATERIAL IN THE MIX. IF LIME GREEN AND FROTHY YOU HAVE BLENDED FOR TOO LONG”
oops! Being naturally optimistic (some would say just plain stubborn) I decided to continue regardless: true genius knowing no rules and all that. For science’s sake I thought I’d better just test the raw product one more time.
Next, I removed the sludge from the blender and carefully tipped it into a metal coffee filter. In doing so, I only spilt about an 8th of it (which I saw as a good result: some fell on the table and a bit on the floor for luck which later I promptly stepped in and spread all over the kitchen . Never mind, someone will clean up after me).
Then, pressing the goo with a fork I helped all the liquid penetrate through the filter into a jug.
I then added about a quarter of a pint of water to the filter and washed this through the goo. I repeated the whole process seven times going easy on the blending and trying to be less sloppy as the spliffs wore off and I realised that wasting the gloop on the floor only meant more work in the long run.
Now I had used all of my wife’s large dishes and trifle bowls. These were placed in the fridge with a little crushed ice in each.
For 45 minutes I then agitated the surface every ten minutes or so, then removed half the liquid from each container. The recipe said to pour the top liquid out, but I found using a ladle more effective. I think a large syringe may have been useful too.
I then poured the remainder of the liquid (the bottom sludge) into one pot and left with more ice for another 45 mins in the fridge. Again I ladled half of the liquid out and left for about 20 minutes. All this seemed to involve a lot of waiting around, so in between all the hard work there was just enough time to crack open another few beers and roll a few more smokes. Therefore I was properly fortified when it was time to start on the tricky bit .
I was left with a wide (but not wide enough) container with a layer of sandy textured (though disturbingly slightly green) substance at the bottom. I needed to remove all of the liquid from this sludge. I knew a large syringe would have been handy, but instead improvised using a teaspoon to spoon off most of the liquid and then tissue paper to absorb and soak off the remainder.
It was at this point that the missus came into the lab and the process was put on pause for a few minutes during which time we had a measured conversation on my not so tidy work practices. I calmly explained that you cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs and so to the harmonic sound of doors slamming I then used several coffee filters to blot the remaining water from the proto-type hash.
I found a credit card useful for scraping the plasticine like substance onto a marble surface (strangely it smelt rather like plasticine too)
the hash was then left to dry for 24 hours (well about 12 to be honest before I decided to “examine” it).
It was a shame that I couldn’t leave the mess I’d made for 24 hours as well so I dutifully went about and made (a half assed job) of cleaning up (the missus’ words not mine!).
Now my hash had a slight green tinge which I know is not so good so the next morning I repeated the above process twice (without the added beer and spliff enhancement) and the pollen was much better, probably because I was more careful with the blender and about not introducing crap into the filtered water through sloppy practices such as using the ladle to stir the blender and then whilst it was still dirty using it to remove filtered water from the dish.
So, here is a picture of the first ever hash I have made. It looks a bit patchy because I mixed 2 different batches, but does burn well and smells like hash. Haven’t smoked any yet but it promises to be very good … problem is I don’t know if I’m allowed back in the kitchen to make any more …..
this piece was first posted on October 14th, 2011 on Original-ssc.com’s blog. Since then I’ve practised the technique several times and now have it down to a quick and easy process. First press makes an excellent smoke!